When you are a parent, self -care often slips to the bottom of the list. But taking care of yourself isn’t a luxury. Now more than ever, practising self-care is essential when it comes to taking care of our emotional health and well-being.
COVID-19 has upended our lifestyles, our future plans and our daily routines.
We gathered the troops from Cocoon Spa and Skin Gym to share with you the advice they have been giving their clients since reopening their doors on the 29th June.
Simple Tips for Parents to help adjust to Back to School!
• Don’t be too hard on yourself. If you have a bad day, try not to beat yourself up about it. Tell yourself that the feeling will pass and tomorrow is another day. Nothing lasts forever, including bad days. It is ok to vent. Don’t feel guilty for snapping now and then! And on that note it is ok to cry. In fact, crying has a soothing and calming effect. So bring on those tears!
• When it comes to taking care of your health and wellbeing, sleep is always a factor to consider. Getting good quality sleep allows us to manage stress and it boosts our immune system.
• Get moving and stay active! This not only keeps your body healthy physically, but it also helps up your mood and well-being. Exercise releases endorphins (hormones that make you feel good!), sharpens focus, and aids restful sleep.
• If you do start to feel overwhelmed, you need to release it. Any exercise that gets your blood pumping can help release that negative energy, as can breathing exercises.
• Reconnect with things you enjoy. Get back in touch with people or revisit the hobbies you enjoy but rarely have time for.
• Make time for yourself. For now, time spent alone is not as readily available for those of us with kids at home. Without it, we have to make time to allow us to recharge. This could be a warm bath with essential oils, a 30 minute walk or some time to read while the kids are in bed.
It’s critical, now more than ever, that parents take some time out for themselves. You can’t pour from an empty cup as the saying goes!
The team at Cocoon Spa have developed a number of packages perfect for parents for a Back to School treat! Call them on (053) 948 4000 to book your much needed “me time”
Cocoon- Me Time Package
Yon-Ka Escale Facial
Time in the Lotus Suite
Skin Gym Autumn Escape
Juliette Armand Facial
Scalp Neck & Shoulder Massage
Hand & Arm Massage
Club Ashdown are offering all front line workers (parents included) reduced rates on membership for the month of September which includes a 6 week training programme.