Did you know that Funges of Gorey have been synonymous with the drapery trade in Gorey since 1927?
The late Tom Funge started his drapery and footwear business at 63 Upper Main Street (now Nel Sweeney’s Pub). Prior to that, Tom would travel around Gorey on his sturdy bicycle selling made-to-measure suits.
In 1932, he purchased the present building, 17 Main St. and three generations have traded there since!
In 1949, Tom had Bex Shopfitters of Dublin refit the shop and add the granite front (originally black) which has been a distinctive feature of Funges over the past 50 years!
In 1960 his eldest son Joe, who had also worked in Arnotts, joined the business. Many additions and enhancements were made during the 60s and 70s which saw the introduction of extra floor space and a larger variety of goods and brands.
The third generation of the family joined the firm when two of Joe’s sons, Kieran and Colm, entered the business in the 1980s.
Over the years, the business has expanded and flourished and has earned a top-class reputation. It is one of Leinster’s leading stores and is a must for all the visitors to the South East during the summer months. Top brands are stocked in all departments, however the slogan adopted in the 60’s and 70’s “There’s always a bargain at Funge’s” still holds true.
In 2003, the store underwent a complete refit and the distinctive black tile was changed to the present rose-coloured Italian granite.
Funges of Gorey is continually being upgraded and brands updated so as to meet the fashion trends of the day.